Chuck Hoger (Class '52) Half Marathon
I am running the Long Beach Half Marathon on October 12 to raise money for the new Center for Literacy at Concordia Teachers College in River Forest, now known as Concordia University Chicago (CUC). The new Center's Vision Statement states its goal is 'to inspire excellence in innovative, instructive and meaningful literary practices for youth and adults by connecting CUC students and faculty with the greater Chicago-area community.'
God has enabled me to stay active all these years, and now I have found a way to thank Him for this gift. My trainer is my son, Stephen, the ultra runner in Nebraska, who will come out to accompany me in the race. I will not be able to run the entire course, but I am determined to finish the full 13.1 miles. More than 20 members of the Concordia community - alumni, students, faculty, and staff - will also be running the Chicago Marathon that same day in honor of the University's 150th Founders Day.
If you should like to sponsor me for this cause, click the gold 'Donate Now' bar above the picture. On the giving page, please select 'Chicago Marathon' from the 'Gift Designation' drop down menu.
Every gift helps reach my personal goal of $5,000 to improve the literacy of children and adults as well as the education of those who teach this vital life skill. Consider one of the suggested amounts or choose one of the 'Other' donations:
- $19.52 - to celebrate the Concordia Class of 1952
- $83 - $1 for each year of my life (or perhaps $1 for each of yours)
- $124 - $2 for each year served in the teaching ministry
- $650 - to celebrate the 65th anniversary of Concordia's first cross-country team (which I captained)
- $1,500 - to honor Concordia-Chicago's 150th anniversary
- $2,000 - to mark the miles journeyed from River Forest to Anaheim
Thank you for your support of me - and of Concordia ministry!